Whether a wife is liable to give her salary to husband and is she liable to pay for husband’s expenses by guving her salary and how can she defend the divorce when husband tries for divorce?


It is not mandatory for the wife to disclose her salary to the husband.it is responsibility of the husband to take care of shelter, food, clothes and also the monthly expenses of the family. the husband is the provider.The wife can also contribute to the shelter, food, clothes and monthly expenses if she wishes but a husband cannot ask his wife to share her income to meet household expenses.

However if wife is subjected to any sort of violence or cruelty she can either file a domestic violence case aganist husband. and if she needs divorce she can also file a divorce case on the grounds of cruelty.

As a woman, if you have reason to believe an act of domestic violence has been, or is being, or is likely to be committed, you can go to your nearest police station to file an F.I.R, known as First Information Report.

Remember, the police on duty canÕt refuse your complaint and are bound to register it.If, the police tell you the incident does not fall under their jurisdiction, then ask them to register a Zero-FIR. Zero-FIR means an FIR can be filed in any police station (irrespective of place of incident/jurisdiction) and later, the same can be transferred to the appropriate police station.

The police will note down the incident while filing the FIR and ask you to sign it. Please doubled check the information they have written and make sure there is a less chance of discrepancy.

If you feel uncomfortable talking about the problems you have to a male policeman, you can also request the police for female officers to assist you.

Reference: Laws Applicable: Hindu Marriage Act, Indian Penal Code

Sections Applicable: Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act, Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City