What is the punishment if husband does not give maintenance to wife after divorce?


When the court issues the order, the supporting spouse is responsible for paying alimony within the time frame set by the court.

In the event that the woman remarries, the husband is not obligated to pay alimony, but he would be obligated to support.

He can also dispute alimony on the basis that his wife works, but he cannot refuse to pay it once it has been ordered.

If payments are not made on time, the court may take additional action against the spouse, such as imposing fines.

In a case, the Supreme Court ruled that a husband cannot abdicate his responsibility to pay maintenance to his estranged wife and gave a man one last chance to clear his entire outstanding debt of Rs 2.60 crore, as well as a monthly payment of Rs 1.75 lakh to his wife, failing which he would be imprisoned.

The spouse said that he had spent all of his money on research and development for a national security project in the telecommunications sector.

Despite this, he was allowed a four-week grace period before being imprisoned if he did not pay.

Non – Payment of alimony/maintenance can also considered contempt of court, which is punished by jail.

Under the contempt of courts act the court can charge the accused with six months of imprisonment and a fine of two thousband rupees.

Reference: contempt of Courts Act, 1971
Section 12. Punishment for contempt of court.Ñ(1) Save as otherwise expressly provided in this Act or in
any other law, a contempt of court may be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may
extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to two thousand rupees, or with both:
Provided that the accused may be discharged or the punishment awarded may be remitted on apology
being made to the satisfaction of the Court



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City