What is the procedure to file domestic violence case for an NRI?


You can file a complaint against the husband under Section 498 A, Indian Penal Code. The couple are Non-residential Indians residing in UAE and the wife is subjected to domestic abuse by the husband. A complaint in India can be filed against the husband under Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code concerning with matrimonial cruelty.

Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code makes cruelty to a married woman by her husband and in-laws a criminal offense. Husbands or relatives of husband who have subjected the woman to cruelty will be punished with imprisonment for a term extending to three years and shall be liable to fine. The offense under Section 498A is cognizable, non-compoundable and non-bailable.

According to Section 498 A, whoever, being the husband or the relative of the husband of a woman, subjects such woman to cruelty shall be pun­ished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine. Section 498A makes it criminal for a husband and his relatives to subject a married woman to cruelty is which is likely to drive a woman to commit suicide or cause grave physical or mental injury to her, and harassment with a view to coercing her or any of her relatives to meet any unlawful demands of property.




Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City