What is the jurisdiction of theft case?


Theft case has to be filled within the jurisdiction where theft has taken place. You can lodge an FIR under Section 379 of the Indian Penal Code. There is no trick to file the case for theft in hometown city, you have to file in the police station in which the crime took place or file a complaint in the district court under which the jurisdiction of the case lies.

You can file a transfer petition on a relevant ground after filing of the case is done. Section 407(3) of the Code of Criminal Procedure lays down the procedure which has to be followed by the person who is making the application for the transfer of appeals and cases by him.

Theft is defined under Section 378 of the Indian Penal Code as whoever, intending to take dishonestly any movable property out of the possession of any person without that person’s consent, moves that property to such taking, is said to commit theft. The Punishment for the offence of Theft is covered under Section 379 of the Indian Penal Code which states that anyone who commits theft will be punished with imprisonment of either for a term which can be extended to a period of three years either with fine, or with both.




Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City