Is it legal to consume alcohol on train?


A person can carry alcohol in train but the person has to follow strictly the rules and regulation made by the Railway Authority. Non-compliance of rule and regulation will lead to imprisonment and fine. A person can carry alcohol on a train but the person is not allowed to drink or show openly.

If a person is carrying alcohol in the train then the quantity of the alcohol should exceed the limit which is two litres, the bottle of alcohol should be completely sealed and should be covered. It should be visible to anyone in the railway.

This can be only done when you are travelling in inter-state or state where alcohol is not banned. If anyone travels with the alcohol in that state where alcohol is ban then that person will be charged and the proceeding will commence according to the laws of that state. People are not allowed to drink or open the bottle of alcohol on the train or anywhere on the premises of the railway. This is strictly prohibited according to The Railway Act, 1989.

Under section- 145 of Railway Act, 1989, it states if railway administration founds that any person in railway premises or in railway carriage that he is consuming any intoxication item or that he is in state of intoxication and in that it tries to create a nuisance or disturb the other passengers, then in that case then the personÕs ticket or pass will be cancelled or he may be punished with the imprisonment which may be extended till six months plus fine ( which may extend to till five hundred rupees)

If any person found in any intoxication wilfully and disturbing the passengers or harming any railway property the person ticket will be cancelled and punishable imprisonment which may be extended till 6 months, which it will be proofed in the court and with the fine.




Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City