How to transfer name in cantonment records after transfer of immovable property?


Mutation is a process by which the title to hold the occupancy rights in respect of any property/land situated in the Cantonment is transferred in the General Land Register. The competent authority to mutate the record of general land register is cantonment board and of rest of the area of the Cantonment is D.E.O.

The records mentioned in the GLR are authentic legal documents admissible in a court of law to prove the title of occupancy rights in respect of any property situated within the cantonment.

Therefore it is imperative that anyone acquiring property through whatever means like sale-deed, gift, inheritance etc. should get the property mutated in his/her name in the GLR within the period as stipulated in section 73 of Cantonment Act 1924. In absence of the same, Government of India retains the rights to resume the property as per rules. Further the type of tenure on which a piece of land is held is only recorded in the GLR of the Cantonment

Therefore before undertaking any transaction in respect of immovable property situated within the cantonment the existing entries must be checked from the GLR of the Cantt Board or D.E.O.Aadmission deed, duly registered on prescribed proforma acknowledging the Government’s rights on the land on requisite value of stamp paper must be submitted alongwith mutation application form. A fee of Rs. 500/- is to be deposited alongwith the mutation application form.

Reference: Cantonments Act, 1924



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City