How to get the house under pagdi system transferred in my name?


Pagdi is a traditional model of tenancy in India, most prevalent in Maharshtra. In Pagdi System, the renter is also the co-owner of the property and pays a nominal rent as compared to market rates. Besides, the tenant also enjoys additional rights of sub-letting or selling the property.

The property issues under Pagdi system at Maharashtra are governed by Maharashtra Rent Control Act, 1999. If you want to transfer the rent receipt in your name, then you have to approach your landlord regarding the same. You need a No Objection Certificate (N.O.C) from all your siblings as they have equal rights to the property your parents co-owned under Pagdi system.

If you want to take ownership of the property, then you have to relinquish your rights of tenancy and execute a sale deed with your landlord if he wishes so, too under Section 54 of Transfer of Property Act, 1882 and get it registered under Section 17 of the Registration Act, 1908.

If there is a case in the court regarding this matter or any other dispute about the property, you have to wait for the judgement of court to come before doing anything. You can do anything of such sort only after the court pronounces its judgement regarding the matter.

Reference: Maharashtra Rent Control Act, 1999



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City