How to get streedhan back from in-laws when they deny?


Streedhan is a movable or immovable property that a woman receives during her lifetime such as, prior to marriage, during the marriage, etc. A woman has a right to her streedhan and this right is provided by S.14 of the Hindu Succession Act,1956 and S.27 of the Hindu Marriage Act,1955. Section 14(1) in The Hindu Succession Act, 1956- Any property possessed by a female Hindu, whether acquired before or after the commencement of this Act, shall be held by her as full owner thereof and not as a limited owner. Section 27 in the The Hindu Succession Act, 1956 mentions Disposal of property.—In any proceeding under this Act, the court may make such provisions in the decree as it deems just and proper with respect to any property presented, at or about the time of marriage, which may belong jointly to both the husband and the wife.

The Supreme Court has also ruled that a woman can demand back her streedhan when she wishes to, even if the marriage has not ended. When the streedhan is entrusted with anyone and they refuse to give it back, he/she may also be liable for the criminal offence of ‘criminal breach of trust’ U/S 405&406 IPC,1860.

You can file a criminal case against your in-laws and husband U/S406 IPC. You will have to give the list of all your belongings, bank details, wedding proof (pictures) to the lawyer. You can file an FIR and then the police authorities have the power to conduct search and seizure to get your belongings.

Reference: Section 14(1), Section 27 of The Hindu Succession Act, 1956, Section 405, Section 406 IPC,1860



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City