How to complain against person who is harassing senior citizens?


Any person harassing any person be it senior citizens or any other can be bought section 506 criminal intimidation in the Indian Penal Code. If the person is very abusive or utters or recites onscene words and mentally tortures any person he or she can file a case under section 294 of the Indian Penal Code 1860. Both these offences are not serious in nature and many at times ploice let the person go easily. To make the case stronger you will need evidence that the person is repeatedly doing the same offence.

The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens (Amendment) Bill, 2019 bought forth by the Parliament has provisions for penal punishment as well as include abuse be it physical, verbal or emotional and economic abuse. The bill also provide for the estabishment of tribunal for senior citizens to file.

Please report the person as soon as you find him to be abusing or harassing any person to the local police authorities with a written complaint. There should be a person who can vouch for everything you have said preferably one of the elders who have faced the harassment from the person in question. There are also elder helplines acroos India.

Reference: Indian Penal Code 1860, The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens (Amendment) Bill, 2019



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City