How to cancel a marriage registration notice?


You can submit an objection before the Marriage Registrar and accordingly process would be initiated in order to cancel your request to issue a marriage certificate thereforth. You can even send a formal application to the Registrar requesting him to cancel the notice. Although it totally depends on the Officer if he wants to accept your request or not and hopefully after a formal enquiry he would then cancel it.

As a result of the said procedure, the date of cancellation of your notice of intended marriage will then become null and void in the eyes of the law. The application made would be put on the board for publication seeking any objection between that person’s marriage within 30 days. So, if you do not intend to marry that person, file a complaint stating that you would not like to marry and you are not submitting any proof and would also like to cancel the same. The Registrar will call you and cancel the first motion of the marriage.

If no objections are recieved within 30 days from the date of notice of intended marriage, bridegroom and bride should appear before the Marriage Officer within next 60 days after lapse of intial 30 days from such notice along with three witnesses for solemnisation of the Marriage. So the second motion is not happened the valid marriage could not be done.

Reference: The Special Marriage Act, 1954



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City