How can I complain about construction noise in my area?


According to officials of Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB), all builders are required to obtain the board’s consent before starting construction. The board has laid down permissible noise levels and work timings for such work. In case of complaints, citizens can complain online to the MPCB, or submit an application at the board’s office.

The CPCB has laid down the permissible noise levels in India for different areas. Noise pollution rules have defined the acceptable level of noise in different zones for both daytime and night time.

In industrial areas, the permissible limit is 75 dB for daytime and 70 dB at night.

In commercial areas, it is 65 dB and 55 dB, while in residential areas it is 55 dB and 45 dB during daytime and night respectively.

Earlier, noise pollution and its sources were addressed under the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.

They are now, however, regulated separately under the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000.

Additionally, noise standards for motor vehicles, air-conditioners, refrigerators, diesel generators and certain types of construction equipment are prescribed under the Environment (Protection) Rules, 1986.

How can you Complain
(1) A person may, if the noise level exceeds the ambient noise standards by 10 dB (A) or more given against any area zone or, if there is a violation of any provision of these rules regarding restrictions imposed during night time, make a complaint to the authority.

(2) The authority shall act on the complaint and take action against the violator in accordance with the provisions of these rules and any other law in force.

Reference: Central Pollution Control Board
The Central Pollution Control Board of India is a statutory organisation under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. It was established in 1974 under the Water Act, 1974. The CPCB is also entrusted with the powers and functions under the Air Act, 1981.

5A. Restrictions on the use of horns, sound emitting construction
equipments and bursting of fire crackers:-
(1) No horn shall be used in silence zones or during night time in
residential areas except during a public emergency.

(2) Sound emitting fire crackers shall not be burst in silence zone or
during night time.
(3) Sound emitting construction equipments shall not be used or
operated during night time in residential areas and silence zones.



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City