Does your apartment association come under RTI Act, 2005?


A Resident Welfare Association (RWA) is an integral part of modern-day societies. It is essential to have a body of elected members who are responsible for time-to-time maintenance of the society, resolving problems of the members, organising events and ensuring a safe and secure environment for the members. Thus, having a RWA is essential.

If you are a member of the society and the association, you have a right to get the information and access all the books of the association. Ask the association formally for the books . If they do not agree, you can prosecute them legally . You can also get the information by filing an RTI application only if the society is registered. Co-operative societies have come under the ambit of the Right to Information Act, 2005.

As per Section 2(f) of the Right to Information Act, 2005, information can be accessed by a Public Authority from a private body. Hence in this scenario, co-operative housing society is a private body and the Registrar of Co-operative Societies is a public authority. You after getting the consent from other society can send a legal notice to the association and can demand the books. If they still do not provide, file a case against the association. You have right to access their documents or even request them to further provide you all the documents.

Reference: Co-operative Societies Act, 1912 and Right to Information Act,2005



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City