Does the wife get the jewellery given by her in laws in marriage after divorce as Streedhan?


In Indian of marriages, the bride is given Gold Jewellary in marriages. When such bride receives anything in her marriage from ny person becomes her “Stridhan”. As per Indian Laws, Stridhan is an exclusive property of that woman.

Hence, coming to your question, if above condition satisfies, then it becomes “Stridhan” and has to be given to her irrespective of person who has given to woman.

There are strict Streedhan laws and the groomsÕ side may face stringent action under Section 405 & 406 of the Indian Penal Code if they deny returning wealth when claimed.

Under Hindu law, the property that can be held by a woman is divided into two categories, i.e., Stridhan and Non-Stridhan. The word ÔStridhanÕ is constituted of two words namely, ÔstriÕ meaning woman and ÔdhanaÕ meaning property. Stridhan is the property that is given to a women at the time of her marriage.

According to Mitakshara and Dayabhag, the following in the hands of a women (maiden, married or widow) constituted Stridhan;

Gifts that are made before the nuptial fire.
Gifts that are made at the time of bridal procession.
Gifts that are made by mother-in-law or father-in-law as a token of love at the time of her marriage. And,
Gifts that are made by the mother, father and brother of the women.

The question of whether a particular property is the Stridhan or not is also dependent upon the source of acquisition of that particular property and the marital status of woman at the time of such acquisition.

The gifts and bequests that are made from strangers to the women when she was maiden, married or widow is also her Stridhan.

Reference: A womanÕs right to her Streedhan is protected under law. S. 14 of the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 Section 27 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 make a female Hindu an absolute owner of such property

Section 405 of Indian Penal Code reads as follows:

ÒWhoever, being in any manner entrusted with property, or with any dominion over property, dishonestly misappropriates or converts to his own use that property, or dishonestly uses or disposes of that property in violation of any direction of law prescribing the mode in which such trust is to be discharged, or of any legal contract, express or implied, which he has made touching the discharge of such trust, or willfully suffers any other person so to do, commits Ôcriminal breach of trust.



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City