Can you correct the details that have been filed in the FIR?


First Information Report (FIR) is a written document prepared by the police when they receive information about the commission of a cognizable offence. It is a report of information that reaches the police first in point of time and that is why it is called the First Information Report. It is generally a complaint lodged with the police by the victim of a cognizable offence or by someone on his/her behalf.

An FIR cannot be changed or edited once it is recorded and signed by the complainant. Section 154 of the Criminal Procedure Code,1973 states that an FIR must be signed by the informant even if it is made orally or in writing to the police in charge. Now , as we see that an FIR cannot be edited, you will have to inform about this to the police station where your FIR is registered.

You must write a letter to the Station House Officer of the concerned police station describing him in detail the occurrence, the fact that you have filed an online FIR and the human error that had occurred while filing the FIR. In furtherance of the same in the letter you will have to put forward the request regarding the correction that is needed to be done with respect to the manufacturer of the said stolen bike.

Reference: Criminal Procedure Code,1973 and Motor Vehicle Act,1988



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City