Can parents disown an adult child , as my siblings want my parents to disown me, Is that legally possible?


According to the Indian legal system no parents can disown their son, they have a legal obligation to maintain their minor children until they become an adult. Under the Indian Majority Act, 1875 a child who attain the majority can be disowned by their parents.

Even if the parents evict a child from their house, there is no legal concept of disowning an adult child in India. In case of a selfacquired property, the parents can disinherit a child by cutting him out of the will

Once a child attains majority a father can disown him and disinherit from his property. A son has no legal right in the self-acquired property of his parents unless he has proof of his contribution towards the acquisition of the property. Although son being a coparcener has right since from birth in the ancestral property equal to and independent of his father.

The child can state this equivalent right with the father just when the grandfatherÕs property has declined upon his father and has become ancestral property in his hand.

Subsequently, any will be discarded of the ancestral property alongside the self-acquired property is invalid. In straightforward terms, a son cannot be excluded from the ancestral property. The intention of the father to disown his son is immateria

Reference: The Majority Act of 1875 (Indian Majority Act, 1875 earlier) As per section 3(1) of the Indian Majority Act 1875 every person domiciled in India shall attain the age of majority on completion of 18 years and not before.

The Hindu Succession Act, 1956 is an Act of the Parliament of India enacted to amend and codify the law relating to intestate or unwilled succession, among Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, and Sikhs. The Act lays down a uniform and comprehensive system of inheritance and succession into one Act. – 202100264-20210012-1026 –


Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City