Can father’s name be removed from school records?


You cannot change the name of father or delete from your child’s education certificate. He is your child’s biological father can factually cannot be changed. The birth certificate mentions the biological names of mother and father, which cannot be changed.

The maximum you can do is to write a letter to your daughter education board to remove father’s name. If they agree to do so then fine. In future, if there is an option, not to enter your ex-husband’s name, in her education records then opt for it.

Many schools have provision to opt for ‘single parent’ name in their certificate. It can be done and updated by visiting the school administration office and stating the same.

Lastly you can proceed with a summary suit under Order XXXVII of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, to get a court order to remove father’s name from school records.

Section 15 of The Registration Of Births And Deaths Act, 1969 states, “Correction or cancellation of entry in the register of births and deaths.—If it is proved to the satisfaction of the Registrar that any entry of a birth or death in any register kept by him under this Act is erroneous in form or substance, or has been fraudulently or improperly made, he may, subject to such rules as may be made by the State Government with respect to the conditions on which and the circumstances in which such entries may be corrected or cancelled, correct the error or cancel the entry by suitable entry in the margin, without any alteration of the original entry, and shall sign the marginal entry and add thereto the date of the correction or cancellation.”

Reference: Section 15 of The Registration Of Births And Deaths Act, 1969;

Order XXXVII of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City