Can a senior citizen ask for a speedy trial in Court?


Senior citizens may be given priority in court. For the benefit of senior persons, the Bombay High Court has decided to give priority in its docket to cases in which at least one of the parties is over sixty years old, if the concerned party makes such a request.
You must write a letter to the court Registrar outlining the reason for the delay as well as your age. After reviewing the merits of the case, the Registrar will issue instructions to list the case as a senior citizen case.

She has the right to request a change of court and a speedy trial because of her age. If at all possible, she should present for a personal hearing on each day and ask the court for the earliest date possible. In this scenario, the lady’s lawyer must take a strong stance in favour of a quick resolution of the case and ensure that the defendant’s lawyer does not take the date for fictitious reasons. During closing arguments, her attorney should also ask the court to approve the petition with compensation and legal fees.

The right to Speedy Trial by a Senior Citizen is implicit in article 14, 19(1) (a) and 21 of the constitution , and also in the Civil Procedure Code.

Reference: Article 14, 19(1) (a) and 21 of the constitution



Ask FREE question
Ask Question
Eg - Start with How, Why, What, Should I, When will...? etc
Thank you.  Please share the below details
* If you are outside India, mention WhatsApp Number with Country Code
Place of Property / Employment / Legal Issue / Residence / Your City